Skip to main content

Book Lists

I'm in to book lists. This is a very rough draft about book lists. Anthony Burgess' 99 Novels: The Best in English since 1939 (the book was published in 1984, so it covers the years 1939 to 1983) is probably my favorite book list (and it also happens to be a book; all the better). I like it best of the lists; mostly, because, Burgess picked 99 novels, instead of 100 novels. Technically, though, if one needs exactitude in their book lists, Burgess itemized 149 novels in 99 Novels..., since he counted series of novels as a single novel, like the little known, Henry Williamson's, A Chronicle of Ancient Sunlight, that comprises fifteen novels. Otherwise, 99 Novels... would've had to been called 149 Novels..., and that, to me, just doesn't make the same whimsical, idosyncratic sense, like the number 99 does.

Back to Henry Williamson: I know "trilogy" means a series of three novels, like the grossly neglected Balkan Trilogy of Olivia Manning's, that Burgess (bless him) saw fit to include in 99 Novels.... I know a "quadrilogy," like Lawrence Durrell's Alexandria Quartet, or Paul Scott's Raj Quartet, means four connected novels. The "quartet" kind of gives it a way, huh? But, what's the prefix to the "ilogy" denoting fifteen novels? That, I'm afraid, I do not know. Is there a mathematician, or linguist, in the house?

Anyway, very soon, I'm going to begin listing my own book lists by genres and eras and perhaps some more stylized, esoteric parameters/etc. It'll be my top eleven picks (in, so far, thirty-three different subject headings I've thought up) including, but not limited to: poetry, first novels, philosophy, Hispanic writers, women writers, postmodern, post-apocalyptic, modernist, dystopic, novellas, short story collections, epistolary novels, counter-culture, fantasy, drama, Native American, and more.

Some of these books I'll list, I've even read. But some of them don't even exist ... yet, like The Collected Stories of Lorrie Moore; a book I'll invent, because, how could I possibly choose between her first collection, Self Help, and her contemporary classic, Birds of America? I couldn't. Not in good conscience. So, instead, I'll collect all her stories into one imaginary, sometime-in-the-future-it's-sure-to-be-published, retrospective collection that'll probably also be nominated for a National Book Award, featuring samplings from every Lorrie Moore short story collection comprising her entire, long-storied career.

And most of my choices, also, the ones that exist, that you can actually buy, but I've yet somehow not read in my lifetime, are what I'd take with me into exile, were I ever exiled to my own fantasy Elba Island by the Powers-That-Be; books that I know I should've already read a long time ago, but now, imprisoned of my own free will, I will finally have time to read.

First up (soon), since we're talking short stories: My Top 11 Short Story Collections that would accompany me into exile. Maybe exile in the Bahamas (or Bermuda) instead of Elba, now that I consider it more. No offense to the improbably many (if any) Elbanians out there, I'd just prefer to stay closer to home.

Comments

Rebecca Glenn said…
Okay, first of all, love the lists (but you know I do).

Now, as to language: I've always known a series of four works as a tetralogy; I've never seen the term quadrilogy before. Interesting. I tried looking up the term for fifteen related works, but to no avail. Of course, the fact that I don't have a reverse dictionary--but I really want one, does it exist do you think?--hindered me.

Sigh.
EnriqueFreeque said…
Shoot. You're right about the tetralogy. What was I thinking? Had I been working my quads recently, and so had "quad" on the mind? But then, how come there's four quas in a dollar, as in quarters? Or four quas in football and basketball games (Celtics suck, yes they do); but put four books together, and suddenly it's all about the tets, and not the "quas," as in "tetra." Seems to me that reverse dictionary you speak of is, in fact, working hard here behind the scenes somehow. Weird.

Popular posts from this blog

A Brief introduction to the Novels of Khwaja Ahmad Abbas

The majority of the material for this post is taken from Contemporary Novelists, 3rd Ed., Edited by James Vinson, St. Martin's Press, New York, 1982

Khwaja Ahmad Abbas (1914-1987)


There's only eight books of K.A. Abbas cataloged in LibraryThing (five or six different works).  He's virtually forgotten in the United States, though still revered in Indian literary circles.

On highbrow literary critics in India, Abbas said they "have sometimes sneeringly labelled my novels and short stories as 'mere journalese'. The fact that most of them are inspired by aspects of the contemporary historical reality, as sometimes chronicled in the press, is sufficient to put them beyond the pale of literary creation.

"I have no quarrel with the critics. Maybe I am an unredeemed journalist and reporter, masquerading as a writer of fiction. But I have always believed that while the inner life of man undoubtedly is, and should be, the primary concern of literature, thi…

Guest Post: Farewell to Manzanar reviewed by Mac McCaskill

"Mountain now loosens rivulets of tears.
Washed stones, forgotten clearing."
 —Jeanne Wakatsuki Houston




When my father was a boy, he learned that he’d been adopted by the man whom he’d thought was his father. Digging through a dusty trunk in his attic, he found legal documents that gave him the name he wore and the father he knew, but also uncovering an origin that had been hidden from him.

His mother was, by all accounts, a volatile woman — her siblings called her “the hornet” because her sting was quick and painful. She was a hard woman, and reticent to either acknowledge or divulge anything about his biological father. Over the years, he eventually learned from other relatives that she met Mr. Black — it was his name, but also a metaphor for much more — in a late 1920’s dance hall. He left her pregnant, taking whatever money he could get his hands hand on when he went.

Late in his life, after his mother died, my dad started quizzing other relatives for information about Mr…

Guest Post: Play It As It Lays reviewed by Joseph Brinson

You know, I began a try at this review writing about Iago in Othello and the nature of evil.

And about ennui and apathy.

And that the answer is: nothing.

And how I felt deep empathy for Maria.

And then I deleted it all.

This is my review: This novel depressed the fuck out of me.

That, and giving it four stars, should sum it up.






















Joseph Brinson (a.k.a., "Quixada"), a poet and a longtime online pal, made me fucking howl when I first read his deadpanned piece on Play It As It Lays years and years ago.  Yes, it is brief — yet is playfully, skillfully thorough. His homage still slays me today.